In person, blended, or digital? No problem! You’ll love the flexibility of this resource. Digital and print! No planning! 23 easy-to-use mini lessons have everything to make teaching reading (any) informational text a snap!
Provide the scaffolding your students need or increase rigor by using with a variety of texts. And because you won’t have to plan, you’ll have time to work with your students every step of the way!
This resource includes both print and digital versions!!
Here’s what teachers are saying about my mini lessons:
- “I love how this resource breaks down each step of the process for students to make it more manageable.”
- “Your organization is outstanding, and your thorough planning (with ALL your mini-lessons) is appreciated more than you know. Even if I, myself, spent days creating a set of mini-lessons to use in class, I don’t think they would give me the the comfort and excitement that yours do.”
- “I love the option of creating a workbook for them at the beginning of the unit, and I especially love the “I Can” statements at the top of each lesson (my principal will love that, too!). The teacher pages are a huge part of what makes this so amazing, though; your instructions, notes, standards, and lesson calendars are so thorough and incredibly helpful. The name of your store really says it all…Just Add Students!!”
This is what you’ll get to teach Reading Informational Texts:
- Twenty-three mini lessons that will support you as you teach students to gain mastery of Informational Text standards and close reading of nonfiction.
- You have both print and digital versions of these mini lessons to use in your physical classroom or with distance learning!
- Also included: lesson plans, answer key, and three mentor texts.
You can start using this resource today!
You will be able to increase text complexity and student independence by using the mini lesson activities repeatedly throughout the school year with any nonfiction text.
This can easily be used as a cross-curricular activity.
This resource includes:
- 23 Mini Lessons — both print and digital
- 20 standards posters written in student-friendly language
- three nonfiction texts that you can use right away to start teaching these skills!
- two versions of the entire product — one print and one digital
- Answer Key using the nonfiction texts in the zip file. This will give you an idea of how to use the mini lessons with other texts. You may wish to choose your own nonfiction texts.
- Lesson plans
Each mini lesson includes:
- a manageable portion of the RI standards
- easy-to-follow explanation of the standard
- a “Demonstrate your Understanding” that directs the student’s task for the day
- use the task as a formative assessment
- create your own workbook or resource
- the “Reflection Question” focuses on higher order thinking skills and helps summarize the mini lesson
The 23 mini lessons address:
1. main idea & textual evidence
4. analysis of structure
5. main idea of a paragraph & supporting ideas
6. clarifying vocabulary
7. figurative language
9. extra practice with connotation
10. technical vocabulary
11. sentence analysis
12. extra practice with sentence analysis
13. paragraph contribution to the whole text
14. chapter analysis
15. author’s point of view and purpose
16. support for analysis of author’s point of view
17. text features
18. synthesizing information in new ways
19. synthesizing information from various sources
20. construction of an argument
21. evaluate reasoning & validity of an argument
22. compare/contrast texts
23. self assessment on reading a variety of texts
- differentiate lessons
- craft literature circle lessons
- create GATE activities
- create small groups, reteach skills, or move students on to more complex texts
- decrease scaffolding and increase independence
- provide additional support by repeating the lessons as often as needed to achieve student independence and increased text complexity
- assess mastery. Collect exit cards that can be used for formative or summative assessments
- build background knowledge using nonfiction texts your students are interested in
Use again and again with your favorite nonfiction texts to reinforce reading informational texts skills and strategies.
This is going to save you so much time!
Please view the preview to see what this product includes. You will receive three nonfiction texts in this resource, but the mini lessons can be used with your favorite nonfiction texts!
The resource contains six files.
I’m so excited to share this teaching tool with you!