Teach all reading information text standards with this all-in-one resource.
You’ll love that you can spend more time teaching and less time planning with these twenty-five Reading Informational text mini lessons. They will support you as you guide your students to gain mastery of all the 8th grade RI standards.
And even better — you’ll have both digital and print options!
Ready to use today!
You will be able to increase text complexity and student independence by using the mini lesson activities repeatedly throughout the school year with any nonfiction text.
This can easily be used as a cross-curricular activity.
This resource includes:
♥ 25 Mini Lessons — two cover choices (one full-color, one blackline) that you can use to create a workbook for your students
♥ 25 standards posters written in student-friendly language
♥ four nonfiction texts that you can use right away to start teaching these skills! Included two texts that argue opposite points.
♥ Answer Key using the nonfictions texts in the zip file. This will give you an idea of how to use the mini lessons with other texts. You may wish to choose your own nonfiction texts.
♥ Editable teacher checklist that will help you track what lessons your students have completed – great for differentiation!
Plus, digital version of the student workbook!
Mini lessons make it easy to teach (and re-teach as necessary) all the reading information text standards.
Each mini lesson includes:
* a manageable portion of the RI standards
* student friendly restatement of the standard
* easy-to-follow explanation of the standard
* A “Demonstrate your Understanding” that directs the student’s task for the day
Students can cut off the bottom portion of the page to use as an exit card or assessment
* The top portion of each mini lesson can be glued into a notebook or put into a binder to create a reading resource
* A “Reflection Question” focuses on higher order thinking skills and helps summarize the mini lesson. Ideal “wrap up” or use as a warm up for the next class.
The 25 mini lessons address:
1. central idea & textual evidence
2. inference based on evidence
3. development of the central idea & supporting details
4. objective summary
5. comparisons, analogies, categories
6. text connections & distinctions between individuals
7. text connections & distinctions between ideas
8. text connections & distinctions between events
9. vocabulary clarification
10. figurative language
11. connotative meaning
12. technical language
13. distinguishing figurative, connotative, and technical language
14. word choice and tone
15. paragraph structure
16. sentence and paragraph development
17. point of view
18. author’s response to opposing evidence
19. advantages of various media presentations
20. disadvantages of various media presentations
21. deconstruct and evaluate an argument
22. assess argument’s validity
23. evaluate conflicting information on the same topic
24. evaluate points in opposing arguments that differ
25. assessing the variety of nonfiction texts that challenge the reader
Reasons to love this workhorse of a resource:
* use to differentiate lessons
* craft literature circle lessons
* create GATE activities
* create small groups, reteach skills, or move students on to more complex texts
* decrease scaffolding and increase independence
* provide additional support by repeating the lessons as often as needed to achieve student independence and increased text complexity
* assess mastery. Collect exit cards that can be used for formative or summative assessments
* build background knowledge using nonfiction texts your students are interested in
* ready to use today
Use this resource again and again with your favorite nonfiction texts!
Please view the preview to see what this product includes. You will receive four nonfiction texts in this resource, but the mini lessons can be used with your favorite nonfiction texts!
The zip file contains four files:
1. mini lesson file
2. answer key
3. four informational texts
4. editable teacher checklists
You may also be interested in these resources:
Reading Journal for book clubs