You’ll love teaching narrative writing with this ready easy-to-use unit of 21 mini lessons. You’ll have everything you need to get started today — step-by-step mini lessons take your students from defining a narrative to the finished product.
The mini lessons:
- What is a narrative (anchor chart)
- Reading a narrative
- Assignment sheet & rubric
- Gathering ideas, part I
- Gathering ideas graphic organizer, part II
- Free writing
- Establishing the sequence
- Establishing context and point of view
- Creating a first draft
- Narrative technique: characters
- Narrative technique: dialogue
- Narrative technique: pacing
- Narrative technique: description
- Narrative technique: reflection
- Transitions: Words, phrases, clauses
- Word choice: relevant descriptive details and precise words
- Word choice: sensory language
- Crafting a conclusion
- Revising for clear, coherent writing, organization, and style
- Peer review
- Proofread: Demonstrate command of conventions
The unit also includes:
- Lesson plan chart
- Suggested teaching calendar
- Teaching chart for each mini lesson that includes: lesson notes, standard, student-friendly standard, student task, assessment/homework suggestion
Reasons to love this resource:
- Start teaching today!
- Perfect for writing workshop
- Less planning & more teaching!
If you love mini lessons, you may be interested in:
If you love free resources and new ideas for teaching — be sure to sign up for my resource library.