Are your students ready to write a memoir? I’ve got you covered!
You’ll love teaching memoir writing with this ready easy-to-use unit of 20 mini lessons. You’ll have everything you need to get started today — step-by-step mini lessons take your students from defining a memoir to the finished product.
The mini lessons:
- What is a memoir (anchor chart)
- Read & understand memoir (mentor texts)
- What is an epiphany?
- Writing assignment
- Prewriting: an object that I’ve kept
- Gathering ideas
- Reflecting on the significance of the event
- Narrowing the topic
- Getting started — hooking your reader
- Bringing the story to life — adding description, part I
- Bringing the memoir to life — adding description, part II
- The ebb & flow of the story — using sentence variety
- Who is telling the story — finding your voice
- Let them speak: adding dialogue to your memoir
- Crafting a conclusion
- Revising for clear, coherent writing, organization, and style
- Peer review
- Proofread: Demonstrate command of conventions
The unit also includes:
- Easy-to-read mini lesson chart
- Lesson plan chart for each mini lesson that includes: lesson notes, standard, student-friendly standard, student task, assessment/homework suggestion
- Suggested teaching calendar for 6 weeks of lessons
Reasons to love this resource:
- Start teaching today!
- Perfect for writing workshop
- Less planning & more teaching!
If you love mini lessons, you may be interested in:
- Mini Lesson for Reading Informational Text
- Mini Lesson for Reading Literature
- Mini Lesson for Teaching Narrative Writing
- Mini Lesson for Teaching Expository Writing