Wondering how to teach all the writing standards? This resource has got you covered! You’ll fall in love with teaching informative / explanatory writing with this ready easy-to-use, organized unit of 20 mini lessons. No worries that you’ll miss a standard – all of the common core standards for expository writing are taught.
You’ll have everything you need to get started today — step-by-step mini lessons take your students from defining a informative / explanatory texts to the finished product.
The mini lessons include:
- What are informative / explanatory texts (anchor chart)
- Reading an informative / explanatory text (expository writing)
- Assignment sheet & rubric
- Gathering ideas, part I
- Narrowing the topic
- Free writing
- Organizing ideas
- Writing an introduction
- Creating a first draft: Maintaining a formal style
- Developing the topic: facts & definitions
- Developing the topic: concrete details
- Developing the topic: using quotations
- Developing the topic: information & examples
- Using transitions: Words, phrases, clauses
- Word choice: precise language
- Word choice: domain-specific language
- Crafting a conclusion
- Revising for clear, coherent writing, organization, and style
- Peer review
- Proofread: Demonstrate command of conventions
The unit also includes:
- Clear writing assignment
- Lesson plan chart
- Suggested teaching calendar (great for pacing and lesson plans!)
- Teaching chart for each mini lesson that includes: lesson notes, standard, student-friendly standard, student task, assessment/homework suggestion
Reasons to love this resource:
- Start teaching today!
- Perfect for writing workshop or whole-class instruction
- Less planning & more teaching!
You may also like:
If you love free teaching resources, new ideas, and lesson plans, be sure to get access to my exclusive resource library.
I can’t wait to hear from you! Let me know what you think by rating this resource — contact me if you have any questions or special requests.