Whether you call it informative writing, expository, or explanatory — teaching this writing skill involves multiple steps!
This resource simplifies teaching by breaking all the steps into manageable bite-sized tasks.
What’s even better? This is available in print and digital (Google & PowerPoint Slides). Perfect for your hybrid or distance learning.
Wondering how to teach all the expository writing standards? This resource has got you covered!
You’ll fall in love with teaching informative / explanatory writing with this ready easy-to-use, organized unit of 20 mini lessons. No worries that you’ll miss a standard – all of the common core standards for expository writing are taught.
Print and digital versions!
You’ll have everything you need to get started today — step-by-step mini lessons take your students from defining a informative / explanatory texts to the finished product.
The mini lessons include:
- What are informative / explanatory texts (anchor chart)
- Reading an informative / explanatory text (expository writing)
- Assignment sheet & rubric
- Gathering ideas, part I
- Narrowing the topic
- Free writing
- Organizing ideas
- Writing an introduction
- Creating a first draft: Maintaining a formal style
- Developing the topic: facts & definitions
- Developing the topic: concrete details
- Developing the topic: using quotations
- Developing the topic: information & examples
- Using transitions: Words, phrases, clauses
- Word choice: precise language
- Word choice: domain-specific language
- Crafting a conclusion
- Revising for clear, coherent writing, organization, and style
- Peer review
- Proofread: Demonstrate command of conventions
The unit also includes:
- Clear writing assignment
- Lesson plan chart
- Suggested teaching calendar (great for pacing and lesson plans!)
- Teaching chart for each mini lesson that includes: lesson notes, standard, student-friendly standard, student task, assessment/homework suggestion
You’ll get a link to the digital resource in the print resource.
There are three resources in your purchase:
- Print and Digital Workbook (includes the digital link)
- Mentor Texts to Teach with
Reasons to love this resource:
- Start teaching today!
- Perfect for writing workshop or whole-class instruction
- Improve expository writing skills
- Less planning & more teaching!
You may also like:
If you love free teaching resources, new ideas, and lesson plans, be sure to get access to my exclusive resource library.
I can’t wait to hear from you! Let me know what you think by rating this resource — contact me if you have any questions or special requests.