Here are 101 digital and print poetry writing prompts for middle school students who may need help finding topics to write about.
When your students ask, “What should I write my poem about?” or “What are good things to write a poem about?” you’ll have quick answers!
Here are 101 topics for poems that your students can choose from.
Students will have fun choosing poetry idea prompts that can be used to write any form of poem — from sonnet to haiku. This resource includes:
✓ 101 poetry idea prompts
✓ tent “sign” for the jar
✓ suggestions for using & directions for creating craft stick prompts
Digital and Print options!
Reasons to ♥ this resource:
- Perfect response for “what should I write about?” or need things to write a poem about
- Use all year or during National Poetry Month…and for years to come!
- 101 prompts — provide lots of poem starters that give writing ideas to your students
- Perfect for poetry practice, morning work, writing workshop, centers, fast finishers, free choice writing, and differentiation — just pull a stick for poetry starters!
- The ideas can be used for any form of poetry: free verse, sonnet, limerick…your students can choose different ideas to get them started.
- Each prompt is numbered — making it easy for students to track what they’ve written about.
- Creative open ended prompts foster imaginative thinking and provide your students with good topics to write a poem about.
These can be used as poetry prompts for adults as well.
You will need to purchase wooded craft sticks (approx. 3/4″ x 5 3/4″). Assembly required: cutting and gluing.
Or, you can print, cut, and allow students to glue or tape the prompt directly into their notebooks.
Be sure to check out the preview!