Here are 101 digital and print poetry writing prompts for middle school students who may need help finding topics to write about.
When your students ask, “What should I write my poem about?” you’ll have 101 options for them!
Students will have fun choosing poetry idea prompts that can be used to write any form of poem — from sonnet to haiku. This resource includes:
✓ 101 poetry idea prompts
✓ tent “sign” for the jar
✓ suggestions for using & directions for creating craft stick prompts
Digital and Print options!
Reasons to ♥ this resource:
- Perfect response for “what should I write about?”
- Use all year or during National Poetry Month…and for years to come!
- 101 prompts — provide lots of writing ideas for your students
- Perfect for poetry practice, morning work, writing workshop, centers, fast finishers, free choice writing, and differentiation — just pull a stick and write!
- The ideas can be used for any form of poetry: free verse, sonnet, limerick…your students can choose different ideas to get them started.
- Each prompt is numbered — making it easy for students to track what they’ve written about.
- Creative open ended prompts foster imaginative thinking!
You will need to purchase wooded craft sticks (approx. 3/4″ x 5 3/4″). Assembly required: cutting and gluing.
Or, you can print, cut, and allow students to glue or tape the prompt directly into their notebooks.
Be sure to check out the preview!